Careers in Public Broadcasting: Employment opportunities throughout the public broadcasting industry can be found at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting’s Jobline.
Public Media Connect is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and an inclusive environment for all employees. Inclusion is one of our core values, wherein we respect the broad diversity of our communities and strive to reflect it in our programs, services, board, and staff.View EEO Public File Report
Station Base: ThinkTV, Dayton, OH
Division/Department: 03 – Production
Reports to: Executive Producer
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As a multi-media journalist (MMJ), you will be part of a small creative and dynamic team that is working to share and create solutions-driven stories and conversations about complex issues shaping our region southwestern Ohio). This role will have an awareness and an interest in solutions journalism, as well as applying the practice across multiple platforms, including web/print, podcasts, social media and broadcast.
- Sourcing, reporting stories, building news contacts, and developing original material for CET & ThinkTV.
- On-Air Reporting/Commentary or hosting as-needed for podcast, digital videos and broadcast episodes. This effort is multi-platform and we’ll be building a presence and community via podcast, print/web, video and broadcast.
- Writing and copy editing scripts and print stories for web.
- Plan, light and shoot footage and sound with field equipment.
- Edit short packages or roll-in videos with NLE software, such as Adobe CC
- Support other public affairs efforts as needed, e.g. debates and election coverage
- Knowledge of the Cincinnati/ Dayton region
PMC’s solutions-driven storytelling will be focused on a limited number of beats at any given time, each representing complex issues for our communities. An interest or past experience within the following coverage areas is helpful:
- Housing & Community Development
- Community/Public Health
- Poverty & Economic Mobility
- Sustainability & Environment
- Crime & Justice
Civic Engagement/Democracy, etc.
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements:
- Ability to work independently AND collaboratively under deadline pressure.
- Demonstrate on-camera/on-mic presentation skills
- Ability to adopt new approaches to storytelling and reporting
- Ability to research and find solutions-in-action within southwestern Ohio or beyond
- Excellent oral and demonstrated writing skills with careful attention to detail, especially in coordinating communication with colleagues and external stake holders.
- Excellent organizational, teamwork, project planning and time management skills
- Must have good news judgment
- Geographic coverage area will be limited, but as a regional effort, travel between Cincinnati and Dayton stations may be required on an as needed basis.
- Working on-site/in the field is expected
- Must be able to carry 30 pounds of gear
- Must a clean driving record within the last 5 years
- Events important to coverage may occur outside of typical day-side work hours. Candidates must be flexible to meet these needs as they occur.
If interested please send resume to email@example.com
Public Media Connect is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and an inclusive environment for all employees. Inclusion is one of our core values, wherein we respect the broad diversity of our communities and strive to reflect it in our programs, services, board, and staff.