Research shows that, over the summer, children can lose as much as ONE to THREE MONTHS of what they learned in school. ThinkTV and PBS Kids offer these free resources to beat the summer slide with fun projects, activities, and ideas that spark learning.
Explore this page to learn more!
Tips for Encouraging Young Readers
- Be a reader yourself.
- Set aside a consistent time each day for reading.
- Read aloud to your reader.
- Allow your child to choose books for summer reading.
- Help your child select books at a comfortable level.
- For younger children, look at letters and words as you enjoy summer activities.
- Check out summer programs at your local public library.
- Read a book together.
Explore a world of words featuring creative and non-fiction writing, family games, and word puzzles.
Go on summer learning adventures with PBS Kids! Get tips and activities to keep kids learning all summer long.
Find simple games that don’t require any materials — so you can play them anywhere!
Making reading fun for kids is easier than it may first seem. Here are a few ideas try this summer or all year round!