Kool-Aid Rock Candy
Learn how to make your own rock candy at home by watching this “Hobby Hunting” video. Have a blast doing this fun science experiment with your kiddos and then enjoy your sweet treat once it is complete!
- Granulated Sugar
- Bamboo Sticks
- Jars or Cups
- Aluminum Foil
- Kool-Aid Packets
- Soak bamboo skewers in a bowl of water for at least one hour.
- Remove from water and coat 3/4 of the bamboo stick in granulated sugar.
- Sit to the side and allow it to dry completely.
- Simmer 4 cups of water, and begin adding in granulated sugar one cup at a time stirring until it dissolves.
- Continue adding sugar until it will no longer dissolve. This takes about 8-10 cups of sugar.
- Boil for 10 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Allow the sugar water to cool to room temperature. This is VERY important.
- Add a packet of Kool-Aid to each jar.
- Pour in the sugar water to each jar and mix well.
- Place a bamboo skewer into each jar and do not let it touch the sides or bottom. Place aluminum foil over the skewer and secure it to the lid of the jar to seal it off.
- Wait two weeks, and then remove the skewers to reveal your rock candy that has formed! Place it on a plastic plate and allow it to dry completely.