Spiced Parsnip Cake with Brown Sugar Walnut Glaze
Stephanie makes Spiced Parsnip Cakes with a Brown Sugar Walnut Glaze—enjoy!
On this episode, Stephanie makes an absolutely scrumptious spiced parsnip caked with a decadent brown sugar walnut glaze. This is a seriously moist and delicious cake where the parsnips are sweeter than carrots and the glaze is absolutely divine. Give it a try and enjoy!
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla full fat yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups peeled and finely grated parsnips
Brown Sugar Glaze
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 by 13-inch baking pan. For individual cakes, you can also use paper baking cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, oil, and yogurt until well blended.
- Whisk in eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Stir in the parsnips.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan or baking cups and bake for 40 to 45 minutes (9 by 13-inch pan) or 15 to 18 minutes for baking cups (depending on size) until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, cream, and vanilla.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens slightly. Whisk until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and add the walnuts. Pour the glaze over the cake.